Kansas City Laser and DermaSurgery Center, P.A. is a comprehensive laser center. We have multiple lasers that cover the full spectrum of laser dermasurgery.
At last! A unique laser treatment that can impressively repair fine lines, wrinkles, and improve skin texture and pigmentation with no or minimal healing downtime.
FRAXEL™ laser is the first laser technology that can produce dramatic improvements to aging and sun damaged skin without producing a wound.
The FRAXEL™ laser produces tiny, microscopic sites of laser induced thermal injury (microthermal zones) separated by surrounding zones of normal skin. Rapid healing of the lasered sites occurs from the untreated areas. No visible wound is created. Minimal downtime consists of redness and swelling for 4-5 days and a mild to moderate acne-like flare up that is temporary. Heated collagen in the microthermal zones is remodeled and results in increased skin smoothness and tightening. Up to 29% of the skin surface is fractionally lasered with each treatment. Four to six treatments spaced at least 4 weeks apart produce results that can rival those seen with Facial Laser Sculpture™ ablative laser resurfacing.
Treatments are performed under topical local anesthetic creams and can be done on any area of the face and body. Clinical benefits include improvement in skin texture, pore size, smoothness, brown splotchy discoloration, and wrinkles. Skin tightening may occur. Scars from acne, trauma, and previous surgeries may improve an average of 60-65%. Stretch marks can be softened in appearance. Go to the FRAXEL™ laser website at www.fraxel.com to find out more about the FRAXEL™ Restore laser.
Treating unwanted facial and body hair!
At Kansas City Laser and Dermasurgery Center, P.A. we primarily use the Sciton Profile Nd:YAG 1064nm long-pulse laser to treat unwanted facial and body hair.
Although results are sometimes temporary, the laser is capable of producing permanent hair reduction with a series of four to six treatments. Large areas can be treated safely and rapidly with the Sciton Profile laser. The skin surface is actively cooled during laser treatment enhancing comfort and protection from overheating of the skin surface. Topical anesthetic creams can be used to further improve discomfort associated with treatment. Light colored or white hairs will not be affected by laser treatments. The Gemini™ Laser is used for hair reduction in limited areas ( the “unibrow”).
When combined with waxing and a prescription hair reduction cream known as Vaniqa, our hair reduction treatments can improve suffering from shaving irritation, razor “bumps” (pseudofolliculitis), and the embarrassment that comes from having too much facial and body hair.
Laser hair reduction is performed by our licensed and highly trained estheticians under direct on-site supervision by Dr. McCune. The Sciton Profile Nd:YAG 1064 long pulse laser is one of the safest, most powerful and deeply penetrating hair removal lasers available. It can be safely used in people of all skin colors without major concern for changes in pigment (either darkening or lightening).
Tired of that tattoo that once seemed like such a good idea?
You can have your “past” removed at Kansas City Laser and Dermasurgery Center, P.A. with the Coherent VersaPulse Help-G Laser using very high energy, ultra-short light pulses (Q-switched). Three different lasers can be used to gradually lighten the inks in decorative tattoos. Traumatic tattoos can be treated as well.
When the laser light passes through the tattoo, it will react with its preferred color of ink. The ink is superheated very rapidly and breaks apart into smaller particles. These smaller ink particles are then removed from the skin by the natural healing processes and relocated to the lymph nodes. The tattoo ink remains there permanently with no subsequent problems.
It is important to have reasonable expectations with laser tattoo removal. It always requires multiple treatments (15+) to achieve maximal lightening. Also, it is impossible to predict whether maximal lightening will be total tattoo removal or only partial lightening. Some inks are unresponsive to laser. Some inks are placed too deep for the laser light to reach.
Although pigment lightening and occasional scarring and can occur, cosmetic end results are usually excellent compared to the other options that can be used to remove tattoos.
We offer two types of leg vein treatments at Kansas City Laser and Dermasurgery Center, P.A. Both are effective and well tolerated.
Sclerotherapy (Temporarily Unavailable)
Monthly injections of highly concentrated salt water (hypertonic saline) can reduce the number and intensity of unwanted small diameter leg and spider veins. The injection injures the vein which then collapses and is scarred shut. Sclerotherapy rarely produces surface scarring, but up to 30% of patients can develop new spider veins (matting) as a response to sclerotherapy - induced inflammation. Matting can usually be treated effectively with laser. Occasionally, larger leg veins become inflamed (phlebitis) producing tenderness and surface discoloration.
Nd:YAG 1064 long-pulse Laser (Sciton™ and Gemini™Lasers)
Leg veins can also be successfully treated with laser. Advantages are that there are no needles involved, matting is rare, and veins too small to inject can be successfully treated. The laser can be safely used in people of all colors in all seasons. As with sclerotherapy, multiple treatments are necessary. Results are sometimes unpredictable, but are usually very effective.
Coherent VersaPulse HELP-G:
Three different lasers are in this device:
- Alexandrite 755 – Removes/lightens brown spots, age spots, skin hyperpigmentation and melasma. Can be used to treat acne blackheads. Effective in treating blue, black, and green tattoos.
- Nd:YAG 532 – Also effective in treating brown skin lesions and discoloration. Removes red, orange, yellow, purple, and violet tattoo inks
- Nd:YAG 1064 – Effectively treats deep skin hyperpigmentation from old trauma, wounds, or inflammation. Also treats blue and black tattoos.
Cynosure V-Star Pulsed Dye Laser:
This vascular laser is able to treat all of the same conditions as the KTP 532 Long Pulse laser. The V-Star laser can be used in bruising or non-bruising settings. Very effective to help resolve common warts and other benign skin lesions including sebaceous hyperplasia, molluscum contagiosum, and genital/perianal warts.
This revolutionary laser has changed the nature of “ablative” laser resurfacing. Visit theFRAXEL™ laser page for more information.
KTP 532 Long Pulse – Highly effective vascular laser that treats red discoloration of the skin from chronic flushing/blushing, photodamage, and rosacea. Removes visible spider veins on the face, trunk, and legs. Treats congenital hemangiomas and port wine stains. Effective in treating red marks from inflamed acne. Helps flatten hypertrophic and keloid scars. Improves brown spots, red spots, and stimulates collagen. This laser does not bruise the skin.
Nd:YAG 1064 Long Pulse: Effective at treating vascular lesions, birthmarks, and leg veins. Stimulates collagen formation. Used for laser hair reduction in people of all skin colors.
This laser has three different laser applications in the same device.
- Erbium YAG Short Pulse – This laser removes the skin completely, leaving behind almost no thermal heat injury. Very useful to destroy benign skin lesions superficially with no or minimal scar. Used to improve scars. Special cosmetic applications include:
- Arctic Peel – a superficial laser peel that removes only a partial layer of the skin surface. Combined with a cold air device to chill and numb the skin. Useful for photodamage on the face, neck, chest, arms, and hands.
- Laser micropeel – just like the Arctic Peel, except more aggressive.Used on the face only.
- Erbium YAG Long Pulse – This laser is combined with the Erbium YAG – short pulse to add extra thermal heating to the skin not ablated. This is helpful in treating premalignant actinic keratosis as well as superficial basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers. Cosmetically, these two Erbium YAG lasers are used to ablatively resurface the face for dramatic improvement in photoaging and acne scars. Known in our practice as “Facial Laser Sculpture™”, this aggressive laser procedure gives the benefits of C02 laser resurfacing with much less (5% or less) of a chance of developing permanent skin lightening.
- Nd:YAG 1064 Long Pulse – This laser can be used to treat blue leg veins (reticular veins) and red spider veins. The same laser is the laser used in our practice for laser hair reduction. We have two of these lasers in our practice in both the Sciton™ and the Gemini™