Mark A. McCune, M.D. is the founder and medical director of our medical, surgical, and medispa facilities.
Dr. McCune is a native Kansan. After graduating summa cum laude from the University of Kansas, he attended and graduated from medical school at the University of Kansas School of Medicine, spending time at both the Kansas City and the Wichita campuses. He completed both his internship in internal medicine and dermatology residency at the Mayo Clinic. Dr. McCune entered private practice in Overland Park in 1981, and has practiced there ever since.
While at Mayo, Dr. McCune also underwent a training rotation in the Department of Plastic Surgery. Off-campus dermasurgical training was received at LSU, Tulane, and in the offices of internationally respected dermasurgeons. Since finishing his formal training, Dr. McCune has participated in numerous courses, work-shops, and seminars to learn new procedures and to enhance his diagnostic and dermasurgical skills.
Dr. McCune is the former director of dermatologic surgery and is currently an assistant professor in dermatology at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He actively teaches dermasurgery to dermatology residents locally and from around the country in his office based surgical facility. Physicians come from the central United States to be trained by Dr. McCune to do Botox®, laser, and Thermage® procedures. He is a locally and nationally recognized expert in dermatology, dermasurgery, and office based surgery safety issues.
In 2001, the governor appointed Dr. McCune to the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts. Dr. McCune was reappointed in 2005 and served until 2008. He was a member of committees involved in issues regarding the safety and supervision of office based surgery, supervision of non-physician health care providers, continuing medical education, and a member of the physician’s assistant council. He continues to serve the board as a reviewer of office-based surgery issues involving Kansas physicians.
- American Academy of Dermatology, Office Based Surgery Committee
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- National Preceptor for dermatology surgical training
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- American Society for Liposuction Surgery
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- Kansas City Dermatology Society, Past officer and President
- Kansas Dermatologic Society, Past President
- Missouri Dermatologic Society, Past board member
- Kansas Medical Society, Treasurer
- Office-Based Surgery Task Force, Member
- MedSpa Task Force, Chairman
- Johnson-Wyandotte Medical Society
- Mayo Alumni Society
- O’Leary Society – Mayo Dermatology Alumni
- Board Certification: American Board of Dermatology, 1981
- Mayo Clinic Dermatology Residency:
- First recipient of the Roy S. Rogers Travel Award for excellence as a 2nd year dermatology resident
- Co-recipient of the Paul A. O’Leary Award for excellence as a 3rd year senior dermatology resident
- Best Doctors Honor: Selected by his physician colleagues as one of the best dermatologists in Kansas City Squire Magazine Poll
- Selected as a 2010 “Super Doc” by Kansas City Magazine
- Nationally published peer reviewed medical articles
- Frequent expert for local media newspaper, magazine, TV
- Speaker at national dermatology meetings
- Member, Botox National Educational Faculty
- Selected by Allergan, the manufacturer of Botox Cosmetic® to serve as a physician trainer of the Botox technique
- Thermage® Thermacool-TC™ – physician trainer
- Sculptra and Sculptra Aesthetic – physician trainer
- Consultant and Clinical Research – Abgenix, Amgen, Genentech, Galderma, Immunex Corporation, Dimemsional Healthcare, Inc. 3M Pharmaceuticals, Astellas Pharma US, Inc.